The MTPdrive allows mapping devices operating in MTP mode to a drive letter in the Microsoft Windows. It offers read access to the files on the device with ability to delete them (e.g. digital cameras or Apple devices). Write access is supported as well but it depends on device's capabilities (typically Android based devices allow it).
The MTPdrive can be configured to access original file/directory structure on the device (default) or use virtual file/directory names to simplify navigation through the device (useful for digital cameras).
The MTPdrive is an evolution of the PTPdrive, it enhances its features (e.g. allows accessing movies in the Apple devices) and also improves usability/performance (accessing original file/directory structure on the device does not require waiting for collecting information about all the files before the mapping can be done).
iPhone 6 mapped to drive R: in Windows 10:
The MTPdrive gives you the freedom of choice of a file manager in Windows, including command-line/script based. The MTPdrive can also utilize metadata in the actual file names (no more manual renaming like "DSC_0748.JPG" to "2015-January-New Year's-001.jpg").
The MTPdrive supports any device operating in the MTP mode, as long as it is recognized by the Windows and is visible in the Windows Explorer. With just 2 MB of download size it is worth of a try.
- Unique drive letter mapping for the MTP devices
- Read and write access to the files/directories in the MTP device (some devices do not support writing)
- Automatic drive letter mapping upon connecting a device to the computer with no user intervention (registered version only)
- Ability to map dual memory card devices to two drive letters simultaneously
- Support for device serial numbers to distinguish multiple devices of the same type/brand
- Flexible file naming feature allowing dynamically change the names of the files based on the file metadata, supports original/virtual directory names for easy grouping.
- Sophisticated file caching mechanism for fast access to the transferred files
- Advanced integration of the MTPdrive-mapped devices into the Windows Explorer via context menus and property pages
- Profiles allowing to customize every connected device separately
- Highly optimized code for speed and size
For complete list of features with details click here. List of limitations and known issues is here.